Saturday, April 24, 2021

Chaotically Blessed

 Hey guys!  I've had a blog post brewing for the past two months.  To be honest I have had the time to write.  Actually I've had way too much time on my hands.  But I haven't been sure what to write or how to write it.  Imma do my best today to put it into words.  

The past few months have been chaotically blessed.  Last fall mold started to take over our old house.  The battle that followed was long and drawn out.  Jordyn (Eliza for my Spanish readers), broke her hand playing soccer.  Both our vehicles have been in and out of the mechanic shop leaving us stranded.  I sprained my ankle (again) two days before my birthday last month putting me with a boot, seated for two weeks and crutches for another.  I can no longer play soccer for the risk of needing surgery next time I am injured.  Layla had an awful migraine.  Dad sprained his thumb during our move.  Mom sprained her knee and hasn't been able to walk in a while.  A pipe burst in our laundry room flooding Dad's office and the laundry room on Easter Sunday.  Guate22 had a training at the beginning of April that with a little hard work I was able to go.  

When the mold took over and ruined some things we thought were important, God reminded us that things of this world are temporary.  It seems that throughout these last five or so years God is showing us that only Heavenly things are eternal.  Personally I no longer think of things as necessary, instead, I think of them as a gift from God.

I learned to serve with a joyful heart in the weeks after Jordyn broke her hand.  Before I did my chores hoping for a thank you.  Now if I see a pile of dishes, I think that if I don't pitch in then someone else will have to give their time for it.  When I serve now I serve for God's glory and not my own.

This car situation has put us in touch with many people who need Jesus.  Dad shares the Gospel with the Uber drivers he meets on his way to trainings and meetings.  

I do not like to be seated for long periods of time.  I hate feeling useless.  But God has blessed me with family and friends who remind me to Him and depend on Him.  So in between tears and questions and struggles I prayed to God.  I learned to pour out my heart and thoughts and tears out at His feet.  This week the doctor told me not to go on anymore walks for the next few weeks.  And I'm still struggling to accept not being able to play soccer.  I went to the terrace a few times this week and just looked up at the big blue sky and cried out to the Lord.  I told Him everything.  The pain, the doubt, the sadness.  I asked Him to show me His goodness.  I begged Him to remind me that no matter what happens He is what matters and that I can find extreme joy in the midst of affliction.  I'm telling you, He really has.  Both my ankles hurt everyday for the majority of the day. I still can't go on walks or play soccer, but God is good.  He loves me.  He sent His Son to die for my sins.  He is with me no matter what.  My circumstances haven't changed but my heart has.

When Mom sprained her knee and needed help, I was presented with a choice.  Do I hide in my room and hope someone else will help her?  Or do I make myself available at any time of day to serve her with a joyful heart?  Somedays are easier than others, but when it is hard I cry out to the Lord and He hears me.  He answers and helps me love serving.

At the beginning of this month Guate22 had an intensive training.  People came from the States, Honduras, and all over Guatemala to be there.  One friend worked ten days straight at the call center to be able to have that week off.  Another fell behind in his homework to make it.  I worked double through a bad cold to get ahead for the week.  I'm sure there are more stories like that.  I'm telling you, it was totally worth it.  

The majority of that week was sitting and being taught many many things.  I cannot remember everything but I am reviewing so that I don't forget.  The minority of the week was fun and games.  I enjoyed the break from all the information but I couldn't wait to learn more.  We went into the harvest two nights and I saw three people come to know Jesus as their Lord and Savior.  It rained the first night but that didn't stop us.  I learned during the training that all the excuses we can come up with to not obey the command to share the Gospel are not worth it.  They should not stop us.  One of the Guate22 guys and I both had pain in our ankles the second night but when we got into the harvest we didn't feel the pain anymore! The first night it was cold and rainy but we got umbrellas or just braved the rain.  One of the groups was in the middle of a basketball court in the pouring rain sharing the Gospel.  No matter the number of excuses we can come up with, we should not give into them.  What is our physical comfort compared to someone's eternity?

Saturday night was the last night of that week.  While I was sad it was coming to an end I was very thankful to have been allowed to participate.  Everyone gathered outside to worship and pray.  I can't quite describe what happened.  All I know is that while I was standing there I suddenly felt convicted.  God showed me idols that I was allowing rule my life.  He showed me that I was trying to keep one hand on the wheel and control my time and pastimes.  I had to fall to my knees and ask for forgiveness.  I fully surrendered that night.  I gave Him the wheel and told Him that He was all I needed, all I wanted.  I lost track of time and don't know for sure what was going on around me.  But someone told me later that some other people knelt down and were crying and praying.  I could feel God's presence there with me.  Embracing me and telling me that I was His.  When I finally stopped crying it was just me and one of my friends still there. It had been an hour and a half.  Others were moving around and talking or they had gone in.  I was astounded by the beauty of God.  He has given me friends who love Him as much if not more than I do.  No one was judged that night because everyone was in the same place.  

Everyday since then I have asked God to take the wheel and I have told Him that He is all I need and all I want.  He has done radical changes in my heart.  Lately most of my freetime has been used to read the Bible and/or to share the Gospel.  I've never felt His presence so clearly.  There is nothing more beautiful than feeling God work in your heart except maybe seeing the same thing happen in my friends' lives.

Long story short, We've been through trials recently, but God is good and He is moving.  Jesus is more than enough.


Saturday night everyone gathered to pray over all the departments of Guatemala

I was able to model the three circles for this group of women.  Afterwards they asked if I was married... I said "No, I'm 16..." They were shocked and I got a good laugh :D
The Lord has definitely blessed me with these guys (we're missing Rome and Charlie)  We all have a similar passion and love for Christ.  They have been a huge encouragement to me.
I couldn't make it on Sunday so they called me to say hello :)

These study times were amazing.

Emisario sharing the Gospel

Another group sharing the Gospel again :)
This first night we saw 19 salvations praise the Lord!














 

Featured Post

Blessed Be the Name of the Lord

 Blessed be the name of the Lord, holy and lifted up.  My God is a strong tower, a mighty fortress.  Those who turn to Him for refuge will n...