Saturday, August 22, 2020

Blessing in Disguise

 

“How are you dealing with missing family?”

-Papa Dan

          The next year was a rollercoaster.  There were some days that were easier than others.  We had to start selling most of our belongings.  With a ton of yard sales and planning, everything was a blur.  Other than that for a while life was pretty much the same.  When it came time to sell the house, things got really difficult. Eight years of memories lived in that house.  The very fact that we were not going to have a house made the inevitable a reality.  After a while on the market, lots of vacuuming, and impromptu trips out of the house, it was done.  It was official.  We didn’t belong there.  That feeling was hard to shake.  In July we moved out.  Heartbroken goodbyes were pretty much a daily occurrence.  Neighbors, friends, teachers, family you name it, we left. 

We stayed in South Carolina with my mom’s parents for a few weeks.  When the day finally came, I don’t think I’ve ever felt so sad.  Papa Dan and Uncle Jason drove us and all of our stuff to the airport.  After saying goodbye to Grandma Julie, Aunt Heather, Uncle Michael, Aunt Laura, Eva, and DannyLynn, we got in the car.  Stifling a sob, I waved goodbye.  In the airport we passed customs and everything and we were officially on the way to our new home. 

Finally, we arrived in Guatemala around midnight.  Rushing to our new home we had to stop to get jugs of water and snacks for breakfast the next day.  Even though it was past midnight, I began to unpack and organize.  This was Sunday August 13, 2017.  The next day, Dad and Layla went out to look for a car, Mom, Jordyn, and me went shopping.  Somehow I managed to be completely unpacked, organized, and decorated before dinner that day. 

The following weeks were full of language, culture shock, and facetimes.  Today I still have days where I feel homesick.  I miss my friends and family.  I send them messages and call them some.  Though I have lost touch with many of my friends and struggle to reach out to my family.  Through this time God has shown me His love and how He can be my best friend.  Eventually God blessed me with some amazing friends who feel like family.  God is so good all the time.

 

Featured Post

Blessed Be the Name of the Lord

 Blessed be the name of the Lord, holy and lifted up.  My God is a strong tower, a mighty fortress.  Those who turn to Him for refuge will n...