Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Live Free


Live Free


Have you ever been insecure? I recently struggled with insecurity. I was new to the country and church. I knew only a few people. Some of those that I knew were sweet, but when their friends came in, I became invisible once more. I tried to fit in. I dressed nicely. I wore makeup. I even made myself shy. I did anything I could to just be “normal.” You know what? It didn’t work.
 Later, we left the church for unrelated reasons. I had to start all over. After eighteen months in Guatemala, I only knew a handful of people and we were leaving them. Well, I finally went to the One I should have gone to at the beginning. I went to God. He opened my eyes to my insecurity. He showed me that His opinion is the only one that matters. I learned that “if the Son sets you free, you really will be free”!
At our new church, during the first youth group that I went to, I made a friend. Not because I tried to fit in. I was just being me. I found freedom from my insecurity when I turned to the Son. I have true friends at church and in my neighborhood. Friends who know me and just me (with God of course) and not the insecure girl that most people saw for a while. More importantly, God is my best Friend and my Father. He brought me through the storm, not around it, to teach me what true freedom is.
Maybe you haven’t ever experienced the same thing, but I’m sure you have experienced something similar. We all want to fit in. Today, fitting in means no emotions except for joy. We must hide what’s going on inside just so that others will like us. The truth is that seeing someone’s emotions that aren’t joy or starting a conversation with someone new feels scary. That’s why often we don’t do it.
When I was new to the first church, I was trapped in my own prison of insecurity. I waited for someone to talk to me. That’s why I didn’t make many friends. Jesus unlocked my cell and carried me out of my insecurity. God blessed me with friends who want to know me for who I am.  Now that I’ve experienced all angles of friendship, I try to include everyone. My personal mission at my church and my neighborhood is to open those inner circles. If people don’t like that, and they stop hanging out with me, that’s fine.
Okay, it’s your turn! Go and do the unheard-of. Do the foreign thing and make new friends. Let them know that you care. God will use it in your life and other people’s lives as they see you reach out to others. Live free and don’t fear the crowd.
“So, if the Son sets you free, you really will be free.”
John 8:36

Featured Post

Blessed Be the Name of the Lord

 Blessed be the name of the Lord, holy and lifted up.  My God is a strong tower, a mighty fortress.  Those who turn to Him for refuge will n...